Rubel Shelly’s Sunday class series: Faces Around The Manger
Lesson 1 of 8: The World That Was Waiting for Jesus
This video gives an overview of historical events that helped set the stage for the birth of Jesus.
1. What four major developments grew out of the 70 years of Babylonian Captivity?
2. When the Old Testament story closes, what empire is dominant in the world? What books of the Old Testament come from this period?
3. What is the abiding contribution of Alexander the Great to the spread of the Christian gospel?
4. Identify the following: targum, Septuagint, Hanukkah, Hasmoneans, Pharisee, Sadducee.
5. Read Galatians 4:4. How does the Pax Romana figure into explaining this text? What other factors do you consider significant to it?